Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Venice re-floated


One in every crowd




Our first sighting of Venice










At the Peggy Guggenheim Museum







At Murano, real glass-workers



We've circumnavigated Venice and can now rest and drink to the glorious weather and the wisest decision I've yet made on my travels, and that is not to drink alcohol during the day. What a difference it makes. The map shows one WC for the whole of Venice. There are more but they all charge one and a half Euros each wizz. The ferries don't have WCs either and the trip to Murano Island was about 25 minutes. So, yay for brains!

Am enjoying the benefits of expensive (10 Euros) internet which must be used in the foyer. I shouldn't whinge. It is Venice after all. I would have thought that Europe would have got to the point where one could access the internet at any cafe, at any hotel or on any train. It is still seen as a cash-cow by all. I saw, whilst booking for Zurich, that five star hotels are charging over 30 Euros for a 24 hour connection. It makes it hard to do what one would see as normal life. Normal for nowadays anyway.

Besides the expensive toilets and internet, Venice has been a great myth-breaking experience. The place runs well and the transport system, consisting of clock-wise and anti-clockwise ferries every five minutes, works a treat. The place is amazing, much like Cinque Terre was, for its ability to make its own normality.

We've had a good time but Jane had a tough time with a cold and Venice was a focus for her. We took a day-pass on the ferries and she managed with the big sunny day very well. It was good to avoid to much exertion and the ferries took the brunt of that. We happened to have a very good sun-block too. It's strange to make much of it but it saved us today. Summer would be tough.

Venice is big, it's organised and it's five inches above high tide. Amazing.

Apparently Australia is freezing at the moment. Looking forward to that!

We're off to Zurich in the morning. No idea what to expect.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to see someone is having cool weather, I know what you mean about the sunscreen its been in the 90's here, almost like we have skipped spring altogether. Looking forward to a little holiday ourselves, Kim and I are going to Natchez Mississippi this weekend and ride the Natchez Trace Parkway (pulling the mobile mansion of course) and meander our way north for a week. I have to admit you have changed my prospective on the world, no longer are my ambitions to see the world limited to natural wonders. There is much artistry in this world and someday I must try to have a look. Tell Jane we hope she gets over her cold. Keep having a good time, were looking forward to your post. Danny & Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again to you two. Glad I've been of assistance.
    Jane helps with my appreciation of the art-world, it's her professional field. (I'm just a colour-blind bolshevik).
    She is getting better now after a little help from her support-crew. She's a trooper.
    Enjoy your trip, I'm envious. You have some great landscape over there. The people are pretty dang good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Morano 'glass blowing' pic for some reason really oozed of an authenticity that you are indeed where you say you are...I don't mean that to be mirthful, simply that I could almost smell Morano. Which brings me to my question..."What scent and odours bring the fondest and the least to mind?
    Also I had a friend in Venice and there he had me on google earth cam looking at what appeared to be the City Square well lit at night almost mesmerising...indeed I watched for quite a time. What does Venice smell like Timmy and Miss Jane ( had to giggle as I thought of Mr Squiggle then)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must write Murano 100times before I sleep tonight...
    Sorry Jane still giggling at Mr Squiggle, I miss him so!!! My own mirth entered in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Sparrow's question. It's wonderful to see the paintings come to life. This is the ONE place I want to see for myself. You are fortunate to have Jane by your side to appreciate the art world. I hope her cold clears soon.
    Good to hear Australia is cold. In the 90's here in Paris with humidity in the 80's.
    I see you found the secret to enjoying your days is not drinking too early. Save it for the evenings. May the wine and spirits save you from hangovers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Venice smells like a new Europe. It is totally reformed from the Cloaca Maxima that has legendarily been. One gets the occasional miasma, as in Paris, but it is often kind to the nose.

    The Miss jane thing gets a workout. It is an Australian thing. Nostalgia down under.

    Yes Miss Jane.

    ReplyDelete