Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fool in LA



April 1

Arrived in LA this morning after viewing all the latest movies on a six inch screen with head-phone that needed to be pressed onto my ears to get the vaguest drift of things.

It's amazing how easily good movies can be ruined by viewing them in this way. (Give 'Up in the Air' a wide berth though. And 'Men Staring at Goats' is just as bad for different reasons)

Lots of friendly Americans and Canadians on the flight tended by harried flight staff, they can get a little surly sometimes but even I can see this as pretty much unavoidable. Aeroflot it's not.

I was stuck in the middle rows because I was too slack to make an effort towards arranging a window seat. I had to ask my Canadian neighbour to get out of her seat to allow my egress so I avoided drinking too much free alcohol. Anyway, you get the picture... or maybe you need more? Details could include me wishing I had taken just one set of earplugs on board. But I'll spare us.

I booked into a cheapish hotel near LAX to allow me to catch my connection to Orlando Fl. Free Wi-Fi is so handy here, I thought the net-book might have been a dead weight but am determined to keep at this blog. Self-discipline has its advantages apparently.

I have managed to re-humanise myself (not completely of course) after the flight and will be glad when I acclimatise.Tony Foster (from PCS Daytona South) is all set to pick me up tomorrow. It's an hour and a half drive for him so I'm grateful for it.

I've got all my gear ready to rig up the Eldorado ready for the big run. The Eldorado is pictured above. It's a restored 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado civilian model (they were really a cop-bike) with Moxon fairing and panniers. The guy I'm buying it from has restored and re-built it to a very desirable level and I'm keen to take it on.

Am toying with the idea of doing some travelling up north. Apparently it's not as cold as I had thought. With 50 states though, one much the same as the next (?), I will be sticking to scenic roads and natural attractions. I'd like to get to Yellowstone Park for instance, but it's way up north in the Rockies.

I've just found how to add pictures, so I'll try to get some interesting ones.

4 comments:

  1. OK, second attempt to comment. Hey Timmy, glad your flight was not-so-bad. Look forward to reading about your journey and checking out the pics. Kiny, x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ThanksKiny. Am trying to use mushy-pea brain to figure this all out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds good, are you swamped with surreality?
    take photo's of yourself pointing at stuff.

    We are all watching you!!

    Levi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coping with the surreality and the pointing at stuff. The realization of what I have committed myself to is a little bit noisome sometimes, but I'm being very brave about it.

    ReplyDelete