Monday, April 12, 2010

Fireflies in Sulphur (Oklahoma)






r



Good evening Antipodeans,

I'm awake and washed for the day in Chickasaw National Recreation area, or near it, after a night by the lake. It was lovely. I had my own view of the lake and it wasn't busy. The best bit was the appearance of the first firefly. It was joined by a second and they flew through the brush, it was magical. They flash on every three seconds. Just a flash but by then they've moved six feet. (not their legs stupid, two yards.) So you have this disco version of Tinkerbelle.

I couldn't read by their light as they wouldn't co-operate ("not interested") but I'm sure, on an industrial scale, they could be put to good use.

Also shown is one of the preachers, 'JJ', I have met. Very friendly chap and JJ was the most normal of them all. He was out for a ride and was happy to chat about riding. Nice. Didn't freak me out.


To the left is a gas pump in Hugo Oklahoma. It has a TV screen, you have to pay before-hand or by card. I have to do the former as they want my zip-code to be entered for security. Wish I had a zip-code Mumma.

I mapped out my future last night as well as a bit of 'Tim and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'(Intertextual reference). My future directions are north-west and I will want to end up in the bottom-left of Colorado in two days. I have a few weeks so it's all 'glory-time' from here on in.

I have a lot of National Park business up and over their. Jane said she'd like to do Hwy 1 up the coast from LA when she gets here (hi Jane), so I'll take in the Hoover Dam and Las Vegas on my own. There are a lot of parks over there and I want to absorb the lot.

I can't make Yellowstone, the weather could turn and I'm not equipped for mental breakdowns.

I tell you what. Loading these pictures is an adventure. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they disappear and sometimes they take to long to load I can't justify the time and I just give on up and walk right on off. (good local parlance eh?)

That's what happened with the pictures Kiny. No, really.

Way above is a guy fishing on a big dam.

Way above that is a guy fishing for direction in an over-sized and alien world. Just like he does back home.

Well, it's time fit the rog and hoad. I have Emerald City on my mind and I have to navigate my way up that yellow road, through all the Oompa-loompas to where-ever I end up.

A great way of travelling. Strap a compass on the bike and ride.

Life is easy and I am up near the pan-handle of Oklahoma. Apparently the top of Texas is called a pan-handle too. I should know this. And you people have no excuse either. So it forms a perfect square of 'pan-handles' Coulda been a perfect little poverty-ridden state with the beautifully named 'Amarillo' as a capital.

Any nominations for the name of that imaginary state?

I will declare a winner once I have more than four nominations.
Am over-nighting in another Best Western in Weatherford, West of Okie City. I've done about 2400 miles and pulled up early after too long on interstates. I'll be following Route 66 for a while now, it's been 'disappeared' mostly (by the gumment to undermine bolshie nostalgics), but I am keen to have a look.

My trip to O C was all north travelling, which is not west at all. So I had to do a bit of west interstate to make up for it. I went to the museum and memorial for the Oklahoma bombing.

Tim did it.

It's 15 years ago next week.

4 comments:

  1. Only you could replace "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" with your name Tim. The photo's a great, no....truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kiny. I liked that one at the top.
    You don't like the words?
    Poor old Robert Pirzig went mad and peed his pants at the end though.... I think I could manage that. Greatness awaits. ;)

    Ps I posted two blogs today. See other ---->

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read both blogs but where is today's? Where are you Timbo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a wifi blow-out at Pampa in Texas. I've put in 300miles of 40mph crosswind am in Clayton New Mexico. Am blogging the day now but pictures will be few due to primitive connection.

    Still great. seeya

    ReplyDelete