Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Arches, Utah




. Eagle Rock?


. A lot of rock overhead.



. She didn't quite get my concept.


. Huge Coffee

. A 1973 Airstream to go with the Guzzi


. Crazy stuff, people carried their toddlers up here

. Wilson's Arch on the road to Moab
This was just off the road. Look closely at bottom right. The hole is big enough for a truck.

Another day, another brag. Moag, Utah is huge tourist Mecca and the scale of the American way M. O. is pretty staggering. There are dozens of Hum Vees decked out with elevated seating to take people through all this wild terrain and the whole town is geared for turn-over. I went to a place called The Brewery last night, it was packed with well-to-do WASPs. The staff looked like they'd been under the whip for too long and I made my exit. No atmosphere, definitely not relaxing.

The park rangers have uniforms starched to boot-camp standard. One of them gave me a few words of advice as I was going in through the gates. I think it was something about my relative velocity. He received a craven 'thank you very much' for his trouble. He looked absolutely magnificent. Prudence precluded a photograph I'm sorry.

First slap on the wrist after 3500 miles. Pretty good.

Didn't sleep well last night. I usually do. Maybe the concern about our Europe trip has me a bit stressed. What do you care anyway?

Left my watch at the motel. Luckily I remembered on my way back from the Arches. The nice girl, complete with 'whale-tail', had it put aside. Another close one.

Did the weekly on the camel this morning, fixed a prob with the gear-selector, a prob with an oil-leak, topped up the oils, checked the plugs, gave it a wash and polish and launched it towards the park and its omniscient Rangers.

Am heading down to Monument Valley now. I imagine you are sick of looking at rocks. But they have their attractions. BTW each of the pictures on my blog is huge. If you double-click them they are good enough to print or use as wallpaper (no, not for your walls).

I'm afraid to admit that I've been riding bare-headed a bit lately. After that ride with Manuel the Deadman the temptation is too much. I restrict it to slow work through the parks usually. No lectures from safety-dominatrices (is that the plural?). I am being careful but don't want to waste a great opportunity.

I was saved by the 4% beer last night. It's not as lame as Arkansas beer but you have to keep drinking for that elusive buzz (Hi Danny).

This is as far north as I will go for this trip. It is all SW and down-hill from here. The Guzzi is coping and so am I. Looking forward to seeing Jane arrive in LA on the 26th for the next stage as we ride up the coast and over the Golden Gate together.

12 comments:

  1. The pics of Utah were fabulous! Gotta get that way one day. Looked like it was pretty hot out there! Said you were worried about the trip to Europe? Don't worry...be happy!!! They say the desert can do that to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I care.. :P

    and as for the helmet... Timothy 'mad dog' Jones & the dead man makes for an interesting title for a biker film?

    Isaac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geeezus Tim! Is it any wonder? But enough of that. I'd like to see Jane without a helmet tho'.

    I'm not sick of the photo's of the rocks, how could you get sick of looking at that stupendous magnificence?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am reading your posts, you are having too much fun to be purely envied! the fun you are having has now shifted to mob-boss revenge quantities.
    I am reading all of your posts but because i'm looking after these peoples mutts, I dont get to check in that often.

    You are doing well! and I will observe your progress! I enjoy your success in a very healthy way~

    Love your son!!

    Aaaarrgh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The views look fantastic. I think we all feel like we're at home watching a great documentary with those images and thinking...its just not the same. I heard on the radio that the volcano in Europe may be exaggerated and won;t be as a significant problem for air travel so that's some hopeful news. So fingers crossed over here pa. xxoo

    Ewen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had mucked up my settings on this site and thought that everyone had lost interest. :(

    The sights are jaw-dropping and evry corner has a new, novel take on bare-boned geology. :)

    I am indeed more hopeful about stage two of my trip. And Sammy, thanks for that. No misery to be had here, just mild exhaustion with awe-overdose mixed in. :o

    Don't worry Kiny. Riding with helmet normally.

    Isaac, I'm being careful for Kiny's sake
    Levi, you should do this trip in a sports car.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha, i imagine the 'wind in the hair' experience would be good Kiny, but I would look even crazier than i do now........... all those knots*?!*@%**

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jane, well we know Tim won't have that 'wind in the hair' problem.

    I like Ewen's comment about watching a documentary. I wanted to show the guys at work but the company has blocked the images...fascists.

    I thought we were having problems with the blog Timmy, glad you got it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible images Timmy...I have looked at them several times in the past 24 hours. Just couldn't get over the majesty of God's handiwork!

    BTW Isaac got his bike licence...we are most impressed and I'm certain your expedition blogs are giving him idea's for the future.
    I'd love riding without a helmet...that's freedom ridin'
    (except with Grizz, That's kamikaze)

    Take care big brother

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't know what the problem is with your blog. I keep checking and some posts are just completely gone from one day to the next! Sammy and I checked out a 2010 Screaming Eagle Street Glide today. Tequila Sunrise is the name of the color. Has an eagles head on the gas tank that is pearl. Really an awesome color!! After reading all your blogs and seeing all the pics you post we are ready for a road trip ourselves. I hope all the volcanic ash and crap doesn't mess with Jane flying in. Or you flying out for that matter. Hopefully it will all simmer down and you two can ride off into the sunset on Highway 1 together! Keep those breathtaking pictures coming along with your witty comments on your crazy adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patty, there was one blog mix-up. Glad you're inspired. I'm in Vegas and due for some recoup.

    The volcano thing is iffy. Still.

    Sparrow. Glad you like it. And I will

    ReplyDelete