Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Just the country for dead men


It looks silly but it was fun

The Dead Man himself. The Congenial Undead.

Decrepit


Non-decrepit


Christopher the natural


Tanya the nymph


Mr Everything


Shiprock


A thousand-yard stare


Manuel and the mounts


Paul choking.


Pacifiers





I'm writing this from Shiprock, New Mexico. I will try to find a picture to explain why it carries that moniker (there, got it). The landscape I'm travelling through is mind-bending, and I've only started to see the good stuff.

I spent two nights in beautiful Santa Fe (look it up) and managed to repair the camel, change the oil and give it a facial. I also replaced a dud tyre which was lowering my re-uptake of dopamine.

The first night was, with the five guys pictured. I had a great time in a good bar, playing pool (quite well actually) and generally having a lad's night out. The Guinness was flowing freely and everyone got a trun to be head-chicken, The find of the night was Mr Everything. A shameless self-publiciser with a thick-skin to match. He was one wild critter, and surprisingly good company (Hi Christopher).

We managed to get back to the hotel and Paul and Dennis continued their trip to Phoenix the next day. They invited me along for a good time and so it was. The funny thing that night was the degree of crotch-heated weaponry that seems to be de rigeur in New Mexico/Colorado (and counting). See picture of artillery.

The next day saw me a bit desperate as I needed to get the old girl a new exhaust gasket, she was coughing up blood from the left nostril and wouldn't pull the sled. I was blundering about Santa Fe with vague ideas of who to see, how to get to them and how to utilize them to good effect.

I ended up at Mika's (Short for Miguel?) and a different (very different) Christopher dive into the problem with sushi gusto (Hi Danny). He was terrific and he was able to come up with a permanent solution to the desperate wheezing of my asthmatic camel. I got him to throw a better tyre on the front end and I did some maintenance while it was up on the hoist. I was deeply relieved to have my dromedary rejuvenated. Goes without saying really.

The next bit has me meet the dead man from the 'No Country For Old Men'; Manuel Chavez. He happened to be at the bike shop that morning. I only found this out at the end of a big night . He dropped this on me as I was staggering off to bed. He put the DVD on and there he was, lifeless and covered with sugarless fake blood (to avoid attracting ants; very practical).

He's done quite a few movies and is a well known character around Santa Fe. He and I started chatting at the bike-shop and we figured thatwe should make a day of it. He invited me to stay over and there you go.

We had spent the day cruising around the Santa Fe district taking in the incredible scenery (again, see pictures). It was a beautiful day and Manuel has put 150 000 m iles on his Harley doing this sort of thing over the last 15 years. We wound our way through hilly, juniper-covered desert, through Latino villages and stopped when the mood took us to take it all in.

We went out that night, yes again, and got a little plastered to an odd-ball band which featured an accordion (better than it sounds). Manuel put in a great performance and his friend Suzanne was whooping it up with him. It was very funny. I had a D & M with a guy called Cas (the wild-card of the night) who seemed to be suffering from a severe IQ surfeit. He will be reading this, so suffice to say that he was a force to be reckoned with, a master codifier on natural Benzedrine. But surprisingly easy to talk to, despite the tsunami of verbalised thought-processes that inundate any hapless listener. Wow...

Today I have covered 250 miles to Shiprock, NM over some very high roads. The fat lady was wheezing up some of the grades and I had to keep it at half-throttle to avoid pinging and fuel starvation. I put some octane-booster in at Chama and this cured the asthma. She picked her skirts up and galloped after that. I managed to slip between some huge rainstorms with only a minor hailstorm to deal with for a while I was travelling at 8000 ft (still earth-bound mind) and I'm encouraged to go higher as I take the big arc through the bottom of Utah. I ended up at Cortez after passing through some fantastic scenery in reminiscent of Monument Valley. I checked and it wasn't.

Not sure where I'm staying tonight. Just glad to have some momentum again after the longest break so far. The weather is a bit dicey but I'm running lucky.



10 comments:

  1. Hi Timbo
    Am checking at work so can't see all the photos, I LOVE the drill one too. What on earth is it for????????? you party animal you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends Bill and Melody Beaver live in Flagstaff Tim, will you be going close to that town?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given that there's NO OUTLET you could DRILL YOUR OWN HOLE.

    Super!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timmy, I see you're headed to Las Vegas. I have friends (Native Americans), who live on the outskirts within a Reservation. Make certain you take care to lock everything up in a secure venue...including your wallet...lol... Just look at the 'perty' lights and don't gamble your small fortune away. Oh and don't introduce yourself to anyone named Elvis, Elvis or Elvis ( fraudulent name and very shady characters) Oh yes and don't get married without Jane, as could cause friction in otherwise wonderful relationship...WARNING - Marriage threats are usually brought on by guy calling himself 'Elvis'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three holes in the ground!

    Well I am about to start on my catch up blog, which has a few surprises. Ooh!
    Kiny: Will have to get back to you on that one.

    Jane: The drill sign was in a n agricultural museum attached to the Route 66 museum. It was just a hands-on display to allow people to see how holes used to be drilled in the Neolithic Period.

    Lynn: That comment takes the cake that you can both have and eat. A tautological tartlet. Good effort.

    B Sparrow: Thanks for the heads-up. I will be near Vegas in a few days and will be looking very closely at my on-going well-being. Nice to see you are out there. Have to do this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS I've gone over the top of my last post so the comments are doubled-up. Apologies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiny, Flagstaff's just below the Grandiose Canyon, so yes, I'll be there in a few days. Want me to wash their car or something?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, don't need to wash their car. Bill and Mel lived in Singo for three years and loved it, Bill was my boss and mentor. They loved Australia so much and were disappointed to leave, they named their new dog 'Aussie' in memory. Bill is very special to me is all, so wanted to know if you were going to be in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be happy to meet him, I remember you mentioning him. If you want to email his details I can drop in for a chat or meet him for coffee. hould be there in two days. Still approximate sorry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tim! Dennis here. I'm enjoying getting caught up on the blog! Paul and I were very pleased to have you with us for part of our trip. The "lad's night out" was indeed a proper good time. We had a little trouble of our own with Paul's bike. As we were leaving our wonderful accommodations, Paul's bike, affectionally referred as Charlotte, wouldn't stay running. She needed a little TLC from a local bike shop and that kept us in Sante Fe until mid-day. That aside, our trip went off without any more issues. Home now and back to work. I'll continue following along, though. Safe travels and for crissake...no more wenging! :-)
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete