Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The volcano and the whale.



I'm sitting at the at the foot of snow-capped mountains eating my salad. I have some bad news for those volcaphiliacs out there. I had to give the volcano a miss after attempting the access road. It was deep loose gravel, the natural enemy of Guzzis everywhere, and I was not going up a 9000 ft high road on that stuff. The Guzzi doesn't feel stable on that stuff and, though I tried it for half a mile, caution won out. No rescue crew here. Just vulnerable little me.
I'll ride south-west to Taos and then north-west from there to Dulce.

As you can see on the map, I have had a circuitous trip but I've wanted to include as much different terrain as possible and today's sights are a real highlight of the trip.

I don't want to take the bike too high, altitude-wise, it doesn't have any fancy ol' fuel injection so it could be mechanically risky to go over 7000 ft.

I have the usual trouble hear at McDonalds trying to get a coffee. They want to know whether I want caramel, creme brulee or deep-fried toblerone bars in it. It's worth it in the end but...




I don't know what happens from here or where I am definitively staying. I like 'winging it and there is always the roughing-it alternative. That could involve snow-skiing the way I'm thinking at the moment. But only if it falls in my lap.

Left: a tiny part of a huge feed-lot. Horrible






I better get on. There are miles to do and lattes to drink. I might add to this later. I think I'm short of sleep and a little bit grumpy and teary. But don't worry about me. No, no. resist that urge to care... aaahhhh.... coffee....:)

Left: Unconquered volcano









Left: the oil/gas wells from my flight to Florida, I thought they were nasty little hobby farms








Left: Crop circles around Clayton, taken from my satellite.






Left: Popeye and I.










Left: Chief Caricature and his bitch





Below: Guess

5 comments:

  1. Tractor seats of course! Aren't they purrdy? Can you bring them back for me please Tim?.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course they're tractor seats, well done Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are on their way Jane. Am in Santa Fe tonight with acquaintances. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too had to pass up Capulin Volcano, did not want to try pulling my camper up the gravel road.
    I received the money you sent (Thanks,I really didn't relish the thought of being in your night life.) and am enjoying it in liquid form tonight, as the big man with the little head has really pissed me off today.You lucky @#*!@+*#, I hope to go to Utah soon and see all the marvelous wonders. Life is short so do it right and once is enough. Good luck, Kim sends her regards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danny, glad the letter got to you and you didn't just give the money to the poor. You deserve a drink gosh-darn it. I am absolutely revelling in this stage of the trip and it just gets bigger and better. Touch wood.


    Hello to your long-suffering wife (Hi Kim!)

    ReplyDelete