Saturday, April 3, 2010

On the road April 4th



I have managed a great deal since my last entry but I will have to condense it all to get readership sufficiently stimulated.

Am doing all this in a McDonalds 50 miles north of Daytona. I've just found out that my camera won't download into my laptop so you will have to make do with whatever I can manage with my phone camera.

So...

I've got the Guzzi now and have abandoned Daytona for a test ride north of Daytona. I've followed the coast and I seem to be the only one to be wearing a helmet. Considering the lack of skill I'm suffering in guiding an unfamiliar, unsorted bike on the wrong side of the road, I'm doing pretty well. I don't need brain-damage right at this moment.

The Guzzi is great and even though it's not as pristine as I had hoped, photos only show what they are pointed at in the first place, it's a lovable object. It accelerates and brakes slowly and I had to fix the gear-change mechanism to help it change down. I had to get Tony Foster to re-adjust the front spokes to get a woof out of the tyre. Glad I went back. It would have just upset me. And we don't want that.

I caught the shuttle from Orlando Airport to Daytona and then Tony and Cindy Foster took me to a Cuban restaurant which made turned out to be a good thing. They are both traditional Americans in many ways with the usual Christian focus and good manners. Both quite very worldly and canny, good fun to be with. I was the only one drinking though.

After dinner I went for a walk to escape the horrible motel ($30/night 'red carpet inn') and ended up drinking lots of Guinness to a good band surrounded by the locals. Didn't talk to anyone but nor was anyone else. The music was great and the energy the band was throwing our way was amazing really. The lead guitarist was one of the weirdest guys I've seen for a while. His talent was in inverse proportion to his appearance though. I just think that anyone that weedy and old should avoid dyed dreadlocks and dress better.

I'm all set to see the launch of the space-shuttle on Monday morning (6:20am here), I've been told where to go to be suitably shocked and awed. A Happy coincidence. Hopefully I'll get some movie footage of it. I'm a bit excited about it.

You wouldn't believe the level of human-drama in this McDonalds. Their soapies are less emotional than what I'm seeing in front of me. Everyone has an angle, a beef an attitude, a line, a whinge and a very pronounced sense of self. They all have a lot of the last one actually. Makes me feel comparatively normal.

I've been talking to fishermen about sandbars, squirrels about friendliness and everyone about how well-mannered they are. I should just soak it up so that I can go the distance when I get home.

Saw an ad for a 'walk-in' bath-tub. With a door in the side.

Having a great time btw. Have to find some accommodation for tonight. I'm set up for camping but might do something better this close to civilisation. I'll add some pics later.

Hooroo

5 comments:

  1. Go Timbo!
    Sounds like things are getting interesting already. have to work out that camera though.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim, ummm, what's a woof in the tyre? Should I google that? (love google!) I'm happy (Miss OHS) that you're wearing a helmet and not joining all the other suicides on the road, lol.
    On the home front, in case you're interested: Levi's gone to Branxton for his six week house-sitting (miss him already...am I mad??) but he'll pop back in every now and then I'm sure. Ewen is still in Sydney, home today I think.
    As Jane says; get the camera-lappy thing going,yeah? Cya, K x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A woof is a bend. It turns out that the tyre had been deflate and left and then reinflated which meant it wasn't concentric. It was out of round. Am struggling with the camera thing. Can't find the tab to insert photos. I had it the other day but...

    If you can help Jane? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have managed at last to relearn the forgotten. I must be healing my poor battered soul.

    See all blogs for added photos. I can only add them at the top for the moment. More to come.

    ReplyDelete