Saturday, April 10, 2010

Paris, Texas and the Holy Grail Ale







Well, well, well. Here I am in Paris, Texas. It gives me a thrill that even I could not hope to inadequately articulate.

For the younger readers... no i won't bother. See the movie.

I've had a grand day and am finishing it well. I have booked into a Best Western and for $60 I couldn't think of a better way of dealing with the reality of a Texas experience. I rode into town in the hope of grebbing an iconic shot of an unknown. Who knows what Paris, Texas actually looks like? It's a very abstract idyll related to a very atmospheric movie lost after decades of lacklustre human endeavour. Know what I mean?

I am sure that you would if you were exactly like me. No hope of that.

I've been drinking Holy Grail ale (no really, see picture) so you will have to make some small allowance for unwarranted abstraction.

This is just a picture page really to celebrate my arrival at the anti-Paris which resides in the North-West of Texas. I was lucky to have met up with Sammy and Patty who showed me the highlights of this lovely example of fringe-survival/coping-methods. These places in America are great for me.

Below, for your enjoyment, is a statue, in the Paris cemetery, of Jesus, in cowboy boots. (how many sub-clauses are permitted Rufus?) Sammy and Patty have shown me the light and he wears affectations of southern modishness. Oh yay sayeth the lord. Yeehah.


7 comments:

  1. BUMP, first comment reply, which means something on the Internet.
    I hope on some level that I, your son, can some how back up the subtle personality traits that you make functional. I understand it can be difficult making new American friends and giving them the blogspot address knowing that pure Australians are here to .... be here. However have enjoyed your international correspondence.
    That is right dad, I have internet every day now! so you have creative culpability! whoohah, bring me local newspapers!

    Levi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the cultural stance of the good honest folks you meet, Stephen King himself told me regardless of their personal state of being, and even their religious ... erm? polar direction!
    That Americans are constantly capable of being good hosts and positive in their expectations.

    Much love,

    Your son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know we had Holy Grail Ale! Was just wondering if you ever made it to Dallas today? Forgot to tell you they were imploding the Texas Stadium this morning. It actually made national news! After reading some of your comments I now have to come to Australia and compare your wonderful people with our very own. Ride safe my friend! By the way, do you have the guardian angle bell on you bike somewhere? Not that I believe it works, just that most of the bikers here in America have them. Can't buy one for yourself, has to be given to you by a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Tim, you have to have someone give you a guardian angel bell. Perhaps we can buy one on line and have it delivered to you in a campsite or McDonalds along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Levi: glad you're on board son. (inappropriate, slap on back) I don't know about the newspapers. They are like our broadsheets only half as wide, you know what I mean. They aren't tabloids, more like narrowsheets. I like the comment about their expectations. It's a very good point. I heard a word on the Philosophy Zone this morning; Habitus. Look it up

    Sammy: I'll have to get one of those super-duperstitious amulets. You get on over to Australia, Melbourne, Great Ocean Road and Tasmania. The locals aren't as lovely as I though.

    Kiny: I'll get one because you said I should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Levi: I loved the phrase 'Creative culpability'. I'm sure 'Rufus' does too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, Thought you might be envious of my Holy Grail. It's mine, mine, mine!

    Thought about seeing the stadium being destadiumed but was a big reach. Dallas turned out to be a huge tube of high-speed concrete. Fun though. Nearly home yet?

    ReplyDelete