Monday, April 12, 2010

Route 66, despite the gumment









So.
Contrasting images of the Oklahoma that you thought that you knew so well. (yes, I know about the bad grammar).

Mr. Electric Begaloo versus, an obviously, very content man of similar age. Okie Ron, as I call him, was beckoned by a loving daughter to a comfortable destination as this photo was taken. Lucky duck. We waved goodbye and his character followed its destiny.

To the right is the Oklahoma Bombing Memorial. It shows the site of the building and the markers of each life lost. I went through the museum next-door and the high-light was the display of contemporary cartoons at the end which showed radical red-necks as being cowardly morons. Something which is not self-evident apparently. Perhaps they need a Rationalist Revival?

To the right is an extreme action photo of John and his dad Tom. They were at the peak of their not-inconsiderable (what a funny phrase) abilities as they earnestly strove to feed me the information I desired, re the shuttle launch. Tom was a wiz on his i-phone and seemed to be in a future century somewhere.

I know it's old news, but it's all I've got AND I really thought they deserved a photo. They are quite a team and I would have been either lost or miserable in a crap camping spot near a busy road without them.

Next is a nice shot of the typical oil-extraction technology here-abouts, with the lovely camel in shot, of course. There are holding tanks nearby and trucks come to pick up the spoils. That's the dreary back-ground that you won't learn from just watching Five Easy Pieces (great sex-scene in that movie, had me thinking for years).

I had to stop below OC to have some supermarket sushi, read the paper and to entice the most enigmatic American so far to take my picture. He insisted that his wife was better at photography and she took it. And looking at it I would have to agree with him.

He wore a beret and every utterance was loaded witha dismissive sub-text.

I took these shots to show the general view of the 'narrow-sheets' which are a generic, vaguely localised version of the same thing everyone gets everywhere. I said the Yanks did generic, and they do.

I can just imagine them being very impressed with the 'human-wave' attacks by the Chinese during the Korean war. "Wow" they'd nod to each "These guys really know how to utilise a willing populace to a vaguely creative cultural end."

Uh huh.

To complete my most highly-produced blog so far, I present to you the 'Old US Flags' disposal bin at all post offices. I assume it's nationwide but maybe it's only a state thing.

Do they have similar bins for Bibles?

Note to all. I have done two blogs today. So don't miss out. :)

4 comments:

  1. No comment on the disposal bins? Thought that one would get some attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't help but notice the sushi with gusto!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just had a brush through your adventures!.. looks like fun! And no country for old men is a really great film.. one of my favorites.. bike looks like a pretty comfortable piece of machinery, I'm a bit jealous of how much character America has, for filming and such.. I've just about got my Motorbike learners license, just have to hit the RTA up Monday morning and sit the Drive knowledge test... its a bit frustrating that the RTA has no recognition of prior learning on that sort of thing, I have my green P's yet still they require me to answer questions about what i should do at a green lite? haha.. anyway I'll keep up to date with your blog! enjoy.. im loving it from a far.. you must be having a blast!

    ReplyDelete