Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Honest, earnest and spaced out on Alabama back-roads





While you've been sleeping I've been tasting the delights of a Alabaman welcome. Yessir. The water isn't so delightful but I guess I cold get used to drinking recycled Agent Orange after a few years.

The picture to the left (go on have a look) is the trail left by our beloved space shuttle. No falling corpses, no traumatised Australians and no need to worry. The sun was coming up, as it does, and if you look a little to the right you will see two photos showing me with a completely genuine smile on my foolish face.

I'm at Dawson in Alabama now. My bottom asked me to stop and, out of respect for its power over me, I acquiesced. I've managed a few hundred miles, a big chat with Rocky and very few close calls or nasty little frights on these big smooth roads. Goin' good. Headin' for Alabama, goin' down deep.
I am, again, enjoying a chicken Caesar and iced coffee at Uncle Ron's.

I've seen a few funny sights today. The funniest was Daddy's Little Girl. She was in a car so labelled, across the windscreen, and she was the biggest argument for sharing food that I've seen so far. Daddy's little girl... (ellipses are great, I don't care what they try to tell me). There are some super sized people over here of course, there are some very vocal, very loud people here too. Makes me just want to join in on the good-life. Just climb into their bubble and float away.

I'm sorry to say that the video of the launch didn't load. But at least no astronauts died eh?

Camping last night introduced me to my first truly indifferent Americans. Bit of a let-down really but I resisted the temptations open to the churlish and consoled myself with previously undiscovered inner strengths.

After packing this morning I looked for my key (yes, there is only one) and was left empty-handed. I stayed calm and realised that I'd had a blond moment yesterday and put it somewhere 'special'. After twenty minutes of frantic calmness I looked in my computer bag and there she was, hungry, alone and begging for forgiveness. I had to admit that it was my fault and that I would never, ever take it for granted again.

As I was riding away I noticed my phone sitting, being charged, on the power-post. Hmmm, I thought, might take that with me. And I did. On the road I am learning how best to deal with the bike at speed. The secret is to have 'clean air' in front. No turbulence from trucks ahead. It's a little nerve-wracking sometimes but no-one can here my screams in Alabama. No-sir.

PS
My phone is temporarily dead folks (needs a proper charge) so no reply does not mean you are on the black list.

Except you Chris. Ha.

Twenty years of meditation and you're still hysterical.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Dad,
    Following your movement on google earth, haven't seen you yet. :)
    All the updates have been great to read.
    But you keep your helmet on, I don't care what the other kids are doing.

    Love
    Ewen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here here Ewen. That fairing''s gotta go Tim, it's a shocker! Looks like it could perambulate itself up the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, three cheers for young Mr OHS and Jane.. "keep your helmet on" (isn't that a song?).

    And less of the blond bits OK? That is don't lose your key, phone, helmet, toothbrush!!

    The photo's are working well now Timmo, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys and gals, I am definitely not throwing caution to the dirty air. I have improved the fairing. See next blog. Occasionally I will do a short hop, a few hundred yards to the shop, without a helmet. Slow speed but a lot of fun. I just gotta.

    Sorry about the blond stuff but this is a pretty inoffensive blog considering my nature.

    And Ewen, am indeed not being pressured. You be careful too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont care how much fun you have - whatever you do DONT bring home an American anything!

    Great blog XX Deezer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't mind you bringing me back some small town newspapers, if you can convince them to not take up space.

    I hope you don't give the blogsite link to American's you befriend... they might still be sensitive about Astronauts and cancel all space programs for yet another decade.

    Enjoying the blog TJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Syd: nice to hear from the world. How is it going?

    ReplyDelete