Monday, April 5, 2010

Finding Neutral after the Big Bang



Today started with the biggest blast imaginable. The blast wave from the shuttle launch took 70 seconds to cross the water to where I was sitting with my two buddies. It was incredible. The thing was two thousand feet high before I felt/heard all the kerfuffle.

Just before launch the space-station orbited directly overhead and then after twenty minutes all seven astronauts gave chase. The guys I was with had access to all the latest on their i-phones, they knew all the history and details and the father had witness the moon-launch all those eons ago. I was lucky to have met them because I would have had trouble navigting my way there and back at that time of day. They gave me lift in their car.

John and Tom were camping next to me and provided much-needed entertainment as we vivisected the American experience. They might be reading this but, lucky for them, I have only positive things to report. Most americans are very friendly andpolite but to meet two so well-informed gave me a chance to stretch my mental legs (?).

I got back to the bike-shop mid-morning and Tony was able to deal with a few problems I've had with the bike. The sort of thing that is to be expected when demanding too much of a fat old lady.

The picture thing is still a problem. I have lots of pics but no know-how. I will go back through the blogs and add the appropriate photo asafp.

The 'finding neutral' thingo is about the gear-box on the bike. Tony changed the oil to a thicker type and finding neutral is much, much easier. I've adjusted a heap of stuff so that the brakes work properlyish now too. I am limited by the fairing on the bike too because it is a massive thing and wants to slip sideways through the air at anything above 70mph. That may sound fast but I am the slowest thing on the interstate at 70. I will be seeking out less intense experiences on back-roads after today. I want to get out of Florida, just because, but the old girl needs a bit more of that down-home lurvin'.

I went through Jacksonville a moment ago and went across their huge bridge near the docklands. Jump on Google-Earth and have a look. It wowed me.

I had a bit to drink last night and made some pretty serious mistakes as I was setting off on the bike. Leaving the stand down for two miles, turning left in front of looming traffic (didna see it) and forgetting to read my 'keep right' sign on my windshield. So, no more hang-over riding. Oi moit be kilt. Or worse.

I just tried to use an exclamation mark, but after deleting it, out of embarrassment, I read an announcement from the blog-page-computater that no such things are permitted. Jolly good show, say I.

Ah. I've just remembered how to do the photos...




2 comments:

  1. Boom, space-shot!

    Photo me up, exclamation mark withheld.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Levi,
    I knew you would ttake my snideness in good spirit. I knew also the envy I would evoke by doing what i so magnificently did this morning. Will post a video tomorrow at Maccas. The connection at this Georgian campsite is less than adequate.

    ReplyDelete